Saturday 17 September 2016

OBDF Retro-Radio

 In my 3D object design course I am taking in ACAD, I have been introduced to a browser-based software called Tinkercad. In this program, I've designed an old school radio I've come to call OBDF Retro-Radio.
.
This radio was heavily inspired by the work of Dieter Rams, (in his time with Braun)  in the documentary Objectified. The radios turntables and all reminded me of an older and more simplified style.
Creating most of the shapes took some time and a fair amount of work, as Tinkercad is a very simplified and beginner friendly program. But hours of fighting through the monotony of creating SLIGHTLY different objects than the ones provided, I was able to finish off my radio in a favorable fashion.

Not all aspects of the OBDF Retro-Radio are perfected for use, it is more of an artistic concept that if engineered, could be used functionally. However, a few parts have been added (such as the power supply and the antenna) to give the illusion of a functioning radio.
Anyway, for my first shot using Tinkercad, I am quite happy with the result. However as I said before, it would be a lot of fun to flush out a lot more of the features to make this more practical. Possibly through the use of a more advanced program, but that will come!

1 comment:

  1. I'm also a huge fan of functionalist design, like the work of Dieter Rams. He is a huge believer that form and function can have a happy marriage! I think you represented this well with your radio design. Love it!

    ReplyDelete